Eric Bennewitz (Yoga Nidra Guide & Teacher)
Eric is a teacher of Yoga Nidra classes, workshops & teacher trainings locally and abroad. He always welcomes the opportunity to share his experiences with anyone interested in this ancient practice regardless of past meditation experience. He has mentored with and collaborated with medical, and yoga/meditation professionals internationally. Eric currently mentors with Jennifer Reis of the Kripalu Institute in America. His intention is to heighten awareness of Yoga Nidra for all walks of life and present Yoga Nidra as a simple option in releasing tensions, deepening awareness, opening to one’s True Nature and guiding people into a state of complete non-doing, so that they can just experience ‘being.’
It’s for Anyone.
This training is open to anyone who wishes to deepen their personal practice and/or enhance their professional development in guiding others using Yoga Nidra. It’s a simple yet deeply self-harmonizing practice based on ancient yogic traditions that were later modernized by Swami Satyananda Saraswati. Yoga Nidra today is adapted in yoga classes as well as in therapeutic, counseling, medical and other healing professions as a natural alternative or compliment to man-made medications and as a preventive medicine tool to promote and maintain overall health.
A Simple Explanation.
On the surface, Yoga Nidra is seen as true relaxation. However, when practiced consistently, Yoga Nidra opens and connects you on much deeper levels, reducing and releasing blockages within your layers of consciousness, sheaths of being and ultimately dissolving your karmic past. It enables you to see and alter negative habit patterns that have shaped your life due to past conditionings, thus enabling you to live a life with fuller purpose and contentment.
Releasing Stress through Yoga Nidra.
With stress being the leading cause of many illnesses today and research showing the origins for many illnesses coming first from the mind and then into the body, adapting a consistent Yoga Nidra practice allows you to turn down the Sympathetic Nervous System (Fight or Flight) and turn up the Parasympathetic (Relaxation Response) bringing you more effortlessly into a state of natural self-healing. It is from here where you discover how to self-activate the relaxation response in your body, welcome and be with and let emotions pass, recognize healthy habits and prevent and reverse conditions like anxieties, insomnia, chronic pains and addictions to name a few. This is all done while you are in deep conscious sleep and without you having to try to accomplish something. The beauty of this practice is that ANYONE can do it. It’s not about promoting change as much as its about uncovering, noticing and being with our past physical, emotional and mental tensions and negative barriers. Yoga Nidra opens us to the realization that we are already whole as we are from the inside out.
Practicing & Guiding Yoga Nidra.
This in-depth 2-Weekend (Saturday-Sunday) training will provide you with the skills to both better understand your own Yoga Nidra practice and guide others with a heightened sense of knowledge, confidence and creativity. You will experience first-hand how Yoga Nidra inspires and revitalizes lives.
Eric's Approach. Accessible & Interactive.
With many forms of Yoga Nidra evolving from the original versions, Eric incorporates a traditional approach to learning and practicing Yoga Nidra utilizing the 5 sheaths of being known as the Koshas in yoga. In this traditional method, Eric explains and guides you through 8 unique stages of Yoga Nidra and how they relate to your Koshas. Students are first guided to understand then experience and finally learn to guide other students confidently through a Yoga Nidra practice. This training uses visual, auditory and kinesthetic methods to help students understand concepts more easily, so it is suitable for all learning styles.
Training content includes:
- Training manual & daily meditation journal for each student.
- Interactive discussion with Q&A sessions.
- Yoga asana & pranayama practices with Eric to prepare the body & mind
- History and philosophy behind Yoga Nidra.
- The 5 W's of Yoga Nidra: Why, What, Where, When, Why?
- Yoga Nidra's effects on the brain and nervous system.
- Yoga Nidra's positive effects on habit patterns.
- Relaxation & body awareness techniques used in Yoga Nidra.
- 3 mudras to for Yoga Nidra.
- Breath awareness and pranayama techniques to prepare for Yoga Nidra.
- Simple acupressure self-massage techniques to relax & deepen
- Postures for pregnant women and those who fall asleep during Yoga Nidra.
- Experiencing various Yoga Nidra guided meditations with Eric.
- Understanding the 8 unique stages of Yoga Nidra
- Understanding the Koshas and their relation to Yoga Nidra
- Sankalpa/Intention - What is it? Types.
- Meditations for realizing your Sankalpa/Intention.
- Understanding Samskaras (life's past experiences & impressions)
and Yoga Nidra.
- Western scientific research and support for Yoga Nidra.
(i.e. chemical reactions in the body)
- Yoga Nidra as a holistic application for self-healing.
- Finding your own voice in guiding others in Yoga Nidra.
- Music options for Yoga Nidra.
- Finding inspiration for your own Yoga Nidra scripts.
- Creating appropriate & simple scripts.
- Customizing Yoga Nidra meditations for specific audiences
(i.e. beginners, one2one, classes, pregnancies, kids)
- End of Yoga Nidra activities to enhance the overall experience and your
life's path. (i.e. journaling, drawing, one2one)
- Handling student reactions during and after Yoga Nidra meditation.
- Bringing it all together: creating your own Yoga Nidra meditation with
warm-up, script and cool-down activity to be practiced
in partners and small groups.
- Partner & group practice times.
- Personal guidance & feedback with Eric.
Students who complete this 40-Hour training will receive a certificate of completion and be able to apply this certificate at Yoga Alliance as a ‘Continuing Education’ fulfillment. Maximum students accepted for this training will be 10, so that more attention can be given to each student.